Do I Need An Interior Designer Or An Architect?


If an interior designer consults on a construction project, they can redesign spaces that require moving or removing walls unless they are load-bearing. If they are load-bearing, an architect, general contractor or engineer must be consulted.

A few states allow interior designers to pull permits. These states typically require the designer to carry Professional Liability insurance, and have their NCIDQ certificate.

Some designers focus only on construction design and can assist with interior and exterior material selections and construction detailing. It is not always necessary to employ an architect, so you may want to discuss this with your interior designer prior to engaging additional services.

Leave a Reply